Q)  Do I need an ISRC number for each single audio track(s) and each single video?

A)  YES (If you want to get paid for streaming and/or digital sales)


Q)  Do I need an ISRC number for a full album or EP?

A)  No


Q)  Why do I need an ISRC number for my music video?

A)  Since many music videos (including promotional videos) are now streaming online, on mobile phones and on OTT devices (ie., Roku/Apple TV)  you are entitled to streaming royalties.  If you want to be able to collect those royalties, you must have an ISRC number assigned to your video.





Q)  Do I need a UPC barcode also, for my single audio track(s)?

A) If you plan on your single being included in any of the following scenarios…
 -  iTunes (more specific information here)
-  Nielsen SoundScan (which compiles the Billboard Charts)
-  Physical CD sales at retail locations
-  a percentaghe of digital aggregators, streaming sites, and download sites

…then YES, you will ALSO need a UPC Barcode for your singles as well as an ISRC code

Q)  Do I need a UPC barcode for an album or EP?

A)  YES. 


Q)  Can I buy a UPC barcode from Web ‘n Retail?

A)   No.  We do not issue UPC barcodes.  There are a number of resonable place to purchase them online.




Q)  Do you have a form I need to fill out to send you?

A)  Yes, you can download it here


Q)  Do I have to pay before you issue and embed my ISRC code(s)?

A)  Yes, payment in full is required.  Once we receive your order form (above) we will send an invoice.  Your work will not be started until payment is received


Q)  Why do I have to answer all these questions on my application and include cover art image?

A)  You know when you go on a website and it says “Image not available”.   That’s what iTunes, etc., will say if you don’t include your cover art image.  All the other information (metadata) also converts to digitally


Q) Do I need to send you a computer file of the COMPLETED, FINAL VERSION of my track or video?

 A) Yes.  It must be in either of these formats: MP3 (Audio) or MP4 (video) file.


Q)  What will differentiate the file I send you, from the version I get back, so I know which one has the ISRC number and metadata from the form I filled out, embedded into it?
A)  We will return the file with the same name but at the end of the file name it will say “ISRC’D”


Q)  Once I get the “ISRC’d” File, what do I do with it?

A)  THAT FILE NOW BECOMES YOUR MASTER RECORDING.  You will use this new ISRC’d file for all uses from that point forward.  


Q)  What if I don’t have it in MP3 (audio) or MP4 (Video)?
A)  We can convert each file for you for a non-refundable $15 fee.  However we will return the converted file to you for your final approval.  Sometimes the quality diminishes and as the artist you will need to decide – use it, or don’t use it - it’s your call.


Q)  How can I see the ISRC number?

A)  You cannot.  Therefore it is best to make sure you are buying your ISRC number from a certified RIAA reseller, such as Web ‘n Retail!




Q)  Since I can’t SEE the ISRC code number, how do I know what it is if I need to fill out forms, etc.?
A)  We will send you the written code along with the revised Master file




Q)  How long will it take to get my ISRC code embedded into my track or video file from the time you receive it?

A)  Within 24 hours Monday – Friday.  Within 72 hours if ordered on a Friday.


Q)  What if I need an ISRC code for my mastering facility to embed into my track before the track is finished and thus I cannot provide all the info (like BPM or Total Time)? 
A)  We can assign your number, hold it in our system and then when you are finished mastering, you can provide the balance of information.  You won’t be able to register with SoundScan until all that info is completed and embedded.


Q)  What if I already sent out individual tracks or videos to places that are streaming or selling it, prior to knowing I needed an ISRC number?

A)  You will need to file a “takedown” notice and replace the taken down track with the new ISRC’d master track.  Many sites that sell music have a link for this.  If they don’t you’ll need to contact their legal or support department.


Q)  What if I sell music in a variety of countries, can you still issue me a singular ISRC code to do so?

A)  YES.  “…ISRCs assigned will carry the Country Code [sic] of the ISRC Manager [sic-those assigning the code], not the Independent Artist. This is NOT a concern because, once assigned, the ISRC is a [sic] "just a number" and no inference should be made from the Country Code about the territory where the recording was made or is owned.”


Q)  Do I need an ISRC number for a cover song I re-recorded?

A)  YES.  To do so, on our submission form, you will list yourself as the artist and indicate the ORIGINAL title of the track.   (NOTE:  This does not affect nor protect you from the legalities of recording someone else’s material.)


Q)  Do remixes or other changes to a track that already has an ISRC assigned to it, need a new ISRC code?

A)  A new ISRC code is required if ANYTHING about the song changes (track length, title, audio mastering, etc.). To be more specific, a new ISRC must be issued when:
- A sound recording is re-mixed or edited.

-  If a new fade changes the length of a track by more than 10 seconds.
-  Edits that change the length of a sound recording by more than 10 seconds (playing time is measured from the first recorded modulation to the last recorded modulation).
-  A previously released sound recording is partially used as part of a compilation.
-  A "full restoration" of a historical recording is performed by re-mastering, re-pitching, re-equalizing, de-noising or de-clicking a sound recording to meet contemporary quality standards. The registrant of the recording has discretion when making the determination between full re-mastering (sound restoration) and simple re-mastering (reproduction without sound restoration).




Q)  After I order my ISRC number, is there anything I should be doing while waiting for it to be done?

A)  -   If you not a member of Soundexchange (register here), get started setting that up. It takes a couple of weeks.
      -   If you will be needing UPC Barcodes, (info below will explain if you need these), get started.   It could take

          a couple of weeks.


Q)  Once I have the ISRC number in written form, accompanied by the file you return to me with “ISRC’D” written at the end of my existing file name – meaning it contains your ISRC number (or if ordered elsewhere it may say “.V1” at the end of the file name), do I have to do anything else?

A)  Yes, you must be a member of SoundExchange and register your recordings along with their assigned  ISRC number.


Q)  Do I need to advise my PRO (Ascap, BMI, Sesac, Harry Fox) of my ISRC numbers?

A)  We recommend that you register the recordings and their ISRCs with the local performance rights organization that deals with sound and/or video recordings (as distinct from the organization that deals with songwriters rights - who you may also want to contact if you are the songwriter). This should help you if you are eligible for royalties from public performances such as radio broadcasts.


Q)  Once I have an ISRC number, will my sales/streaming, etc., be eligible for the Billboard Charts?

A)  NO, you must register your numbers with SoundScan using your UPC code for a whole album and both an ISRC code AND UPC code for the individual tracks.  More info on how to register here


Dear Rock 'n Retail, LLC:  As the National ISRC Agency for the  United States, we are pleased to advise that the ISRC Manager Code has been renewed to Rock 'n Retail, LLC.   Your ID remains QM-4LG

© 2003-2020 Rock 'n Retail, LLC & Web 'n Retail

All Rights Reserved

It is the policy of Rock 'n Retail, LLC & Web 'n Retail that our music marketing/social media marketing clients OWN all usernames and passwords of any websites, social media, blogs and/or email addresses that we build on their behalf; as well as having full ownership of any and all creative and/or press releases we create on their behalf.